Saturday, October 20, 2007

Recipe RoundUp ...

Recipe RoundUp found here for the month of October ....


My recipe is for Venison Stew

Ingredients

2 pounds of venison, cut up in 1 1/2 cubes

(can also substitute beef, elk, bear, muledeer, moose, etc.)

2 tbs. of olive oil

1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 medium onion, sliced

1 or 2 bay leaves

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Dash ground allspice or cloves

10 carrots quartered

10 potatoes, pared and quartered

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour In a Dutch oven, thoroughly brown venison in olive oil, turning often. Add 2 cups of hot water and next nine ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep mixture from sticking. Remove bay leaves. Add vegetables. Cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Slowly blend 1/3 cup of cold water into flour and stir mixture slowly into hot stew. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook for five minutes longer. Makes 6-8 servings. Freezes well, make double batch and freeze one. I like to serve my stew with homemade baking powder biscuits recipe from Susan Branch ....

Enjoy the work of your hands, seasoned with your love!

Pam <><

5 comments:

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I would never thought of the allspice. Must try it soon. Mary

Anonymous said...

Well, now, you sure have given us some alternatives for the meaty ingredient; since my husband doesn't hunt now, I think we'd probably go with (boring) cow :).

Still making my rounds for RRU...glad I did!

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Mmm sounds delish!
I will keep this recipe and give it a try when hubby gets us a deer this november!

Thanks for shareing!
Hugz, Dolly

Rose of Sharon said...

Sounds wonderful! Three of my men are out hunting right now, maybe they'll get one!

Blessings to you on this day! Sharon

Val said...

This sounds great. I will try this. I just found your blog. I will be back to visit.