Sunday, July 1, 2007

Garden Goodies ~~

Our garden is flourishing with the recent rains we have had. It has been dry here in PA. Cabbage Creek is flowing a little low with the drought.

These past few days have been wonderful! Light breezes, misty rain showers, cool temps and fresh smell permeating the house. The curtains have been billowing in the breezes during the nighttime. At twilight this evening I heard a chirp of a cricket and watched the lightning bugs start their dance. We like to lie in bed and listen to the crickets sing their songs thru the night. I am a light sleeper so often in the early hours of the night I set on the porch and listen to their sing-song while sharing my heart with my Lord and Savior.

Our zucchini are producing well this year. I had not checked on them for a few days and when I went down to the garden today - WOW - I was surprised! We had fried zucchini to eat today. (And probably tomorrow and the next few weeks!) There are a lot of recipes around but here is a family favorite of ours ~~

fried zucchini blossoms

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup club soda or beer (not dark)
1/4 teaspoon salt
About 4 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
18 zucchini blossoms
a deep-fat thermometer

Whisk together flour, club soda or beer, and salt in a bowl until smooth.
Heat 1 inch oil in a 3-quart wide heavy saucepan over moderate heat until it registers 375°F on thermometer. Working in batches of 3, dip blossoms in batter to coat, brushing them against side of bowl to remove excess batter, and fry, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain and sprinkle lightly with salt. (Return oil to 375°F between batches.) Serve warm.

( Batter can be made up to 2 hours ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature and whisk again before using.)

First batches of fried blossoms can be kept warm on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven until all of blossoms are fried.

Blossoms can also be panfried, but they will not be as crisp. Instead of making batter, stir together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss blossoms in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Heat 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until the foam subsides. Add blossoms in batches and cook, stirring, until they just begin to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.

They can also be stuffed with a mixture of ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg, dash of nutmeg, s & p, and parsley flakes. Tie the stuffed flower with a long piece of sliced green onion top. Also can be stuffed with an anchovy & cream cheese mixture.

For those of you who have zucchini, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Debra from Bungalow said...

Thank you for stopping by and pointing me to this resipe, I'll give it a try!

I'll be back later to read more when I have more time...I'm off to work.

Debra from Bungalow said...

recipe...I'm awake more now and I can spell better!

Anonymous said...

Hi We also have a load of Zucchini or Courgette as we call them (for some reason).

I hope to try your recipe soon as I've been looking for tips.

Thanks