Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tuesday Ironing Day ~~

Monday's was Wash Day ...

and

Tuesday's was Ironing Day at Gram's home ...

When I was small I had my own wooden ironing board and iron.
I remember standing beside Gram's ironing board
and doing what she did. We even wore aprons!
I still have mine. I have some that my Great-Grand-
Mother made for me. I should get them out and
take some pictures and share them with you.
I started out with hankies, aprons and pillowcases.
Then graduated to T-shirts, work shirts and cotton petticoats.
BUT some of the clothes came off the wash line,
then they were sprinkled with a special pop bottle
with a sprinkling lid that made them damp,
rolled up and put in a plastic bag
which was then put into the refrigerator.
Then on Ironing day these were removed
one at a time, sprinkled a little more,
then ironed out beautifully.
I can still remember the fresh smell
when the iron did its work of pressing.
No need for starches, nor sprays.
I can still see her pinning out her doillies she
hand crocheted, and ironing them dry.
Oh what memories ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.